Friday, April 22, 2011

Guide Me Lloyd

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that. 

The prescient words of the great Lloyd Dobler from 1989's "Say Anything." The quote rings truer now than it did when the movie first premiered. Just like Lloyd I don't really want to sell or buy or process anything.

So at some point I need to settle on a new career. My daughter is going to kindergarten this fall so before I know it I'll be twiddling my thumbs at home while both of my kids are learning and growing as people. Jerks. How dare they leave me!

Don't get me wrong - loving the Dad thing...big time. But the pay kinda stinks so I need to start making a plan. While I'm going to be moving forward with my Be More Awesome campaign I don't think that is a career per se. I would love a "career." I'd like to have a clear mission that is easily explainable. Not a job but an actual occupation where someone at a party asks you:  "So, what do you do?" And you don't have to fumble to explain how you spend your days.

Example:

"Hey Joe I'm Tim. I'm the COO of ADT's BPO . What do you do?"

"Nice to meet you Tim. That sounds great in an alphabet soup type of way. I'm a ..."

Complete the sentence dear readers. I welcome your suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment