Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Be More Awesome: Step One

Pop Quiz - What do Stevie Ray Vaughan, Wynton Marsalis and Yo-Yo Ma all have in common? Very little. Except the fact that they are/were all super-talented musicians. Oh - and they're AWESOME. Don't think Yo-Yo Ma is awesome? Not cool enough for you? Anyone who is the best in the world at something is pretty awesome in my book. Hell, Stevie is still awesome and he's been dead for over 20 years!

But I digress. My real reason for bringing up these great artists is to highlight step one on my patch to ultimate awesomosity. LEARN AN INSTRUMENT.

As I near 40 I realize that I have few quantifiable talents. Does the adroit use of sarcasm count? How about the ability to recall obscure alternative rock bands from the 80's and 90's? Anyone remember the Hoodoo Gurus? Flesh for Lulu? No? Don't worry. You didn't miss much.

Pop Quiz #2 - If you had to choose the most awesome of all instruments to play what should you choose? Clarinet? No. Oboe? Definitely not. The guitar of course! Do you know any oboe players? I didn't think so. Guitar heroes have cool names like Slash, The Edge and Yngwie Malmsteen.   

Hopefully with diligent practice I can achieve a reasonable level of proficiency in a couple of years. That coupled with some other steps should make me a more awesome person...eventually.

1 comment:

  1. The turntable used to be the new guitar until Technics stopped production on them :-(

    Anyway, sarcasm definitely counts especially when used in conjunction with the word "adroit"!

    ReplyDelete