Friday, March 25, 2011

Small Town Goodness

I thought I grew up in a small town. It was small I guess...compared to New York City which was just a short train ride away. But since we've moved to an honest-to-goodness small town I'm constantly struck by the differences between the world I grew up in and the one my kids are now experiencing.

For example, nearly everywhere we go my daughter sees at least one friend of hers from her nursery school class. It makes her feel like a big shot and I love that.

I love that in the fall we can take the kids apple picking - in our own town. I love that the kids take swim lessons in the lake just up the road from us. The sun fish brush their legs and they squeal with delight.

I love that an escaped llama makes the police blotter in the local paper.

I love that we go to a neighbor's house down the road and pop into his shed to buy fresh eggs. This is his fridge:

And this is where you pay. We go by the honors system in this neck of the woods:

The icing on the cake is that with all of this small town goodness we still get to be near the ocean where we get to enjoy views like this:

Someday I might want to live in a big town again. But right now this feels like just the right size...

1 comment:

  1. Great article. I tell people here that, if they have the quintessential New England town in mind...the town square, the white steeple....then Guilford is that place. It's proved to be a great move.....

    ReplyDelete