Sunday, March 20, 2011

It's Me Against the 3rd Grade

My son brought home a flyer announcing "Reading Week" at his school. His teacher is seeking parents to volunteer to come in and read a book to the class. Great, right? I immediately signed up and was looking forward to it until I discovered that there was more to it. The flyer went on to suggest that each volunteer explain to the class how being a good reader helps us with our career. Uh...I had a career and I plan to have another one in the future...but now? What to say if there currently is no career?

Uh...well...I guess my literacy is a boon for tuck-in time. My 4-year old can't read yet so really it's up to me to crank out a little Dr. Seuss before bedtime. And I guess it's a good thing to be able to read the dosage amounts on the kid's medications so I don't accidentally send them on a long strange trip. In any event I'm gonna have to think about my approach. Third graders can smell B.S. a mile away.

No comments:

Post a Comment