Monday, February 7, 2011

A Thank You Note to My Mother-in-Law

It's not fashionable for men to admit but I love my mother-in-law. In many ways she has impacted my life more than almost anyone. I love her because she gave birth to my wife. I wish I could love her for other reasons but I will never get to know her personally. She passed away 15 years ago today - before my wife and I ever met. All I'll ever know about her is from what others tell me and I'm sorry for that.

From their stories I know that she was very successful. I know that she played the piano. I know that she was very short and liked to scream during her son's football games. I know that she always wore pearls. Most importantly I know that she gave birth to three great kids (my wife, her older brother and eldest sister) and instilled in all of them a hunger for knowledge and a drive to succeed. They are her legacy, as well as her grandchildren who will also see the pictures and hear the stories. I think they'll have a much better understanding than I do since they have some of Joan in all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment