Sunday, February 13, 2011

In the Presence of a Master

I had the good fortune of seeing a great benefit concert last night. It featured Morris Pleasure - an accomplished bass and keyboard player who grew up in my little town and went onto fame (and presumably some fortune) playing with acts like Ray Charles, Earth, Wind and Fire and Michael Jackson. It was for a great cause which made it really great to be a part of - and what made it even better was that I got to see Omar Hakim. If the name doesn't ring a bell suffice it to say that he's one of the best rock/jazz drummers of the past 40 years. The last time I saw him I was in Madison Square Garden and it was 1987. He was anchoring Sting's band and I was blown away.

Last night was no different. His musicianship was unbelievable again but what struck me was the sheer joy he exuded on stage. He probably had the same joy in 1987 but it was hard to see from several hundred rows away! I found his performance really inspiring. It's incredible to watch someone who has so completely mastered something. I'm thinking of Michael Jordan driving the lane or Pavarotti embracing a Puccini aria. It's fun to be in the presence of greatness.You rock Omar!

No comments:

Post a Comment