Thursday, September 2, 2010

Thar She Blows!

What do you think of my new whale? I think he has personality and he makes me happy when I look upon him. Art is supposed to elicit some emotion from the viewer, right?

We purchased him in Nantucket on our recent vacation there. It was done by a local artist using indigenous bark. Not just any bark mind you, NANTUCKET BARK. Makes it more expensive. Now that he's up on the wall he needs name. Any suggestions? I like Gus but I'm not settled on that yet.

Side note: When on vacation I spotted a lovely couple walking their two vizslas (a breed of dog) on the beach. The dogs names were "Nan" and "Tucket." Some people would think that's cute. I found it incredibly unimaginative. There were so many other choices: Bonnie & Clyde, Abbott & Costello, Ass & ...you get the point.   

So anyway, the whale meets my simple criteria for display in my home - it is an original work of art. Not a knock off, not a lithograph, not a cheesy poster. This little rule of mine has driven my wife crazy over the years because we are not millionaires. We are more like thousandaires. As such we are not able to purchase wonderful works of art that we see on display at galleries and art shows very often. This also means that unless someone decides to do me a solid and give me an original Van Gough, none of his work will be hanging in my house.

I don't know when this rule of mine came about. It was certainly after my high school days when I had posters of (I hate to admit this) INXS and The Cure on my wall. Maybe staring at all of those men who looked like women warped my sensibilities or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment