Tuesday, August 10, 2010

You Give America...not Love... a Bad Name

When Charles Barkley famously said: "I am not a role model," he clearly was addressing the fact that parents, teachers and guardians should be role models for kids - not athletes and rock stars. But what do you do when your Dad decides that this is the t-shirt he's gonna go with while chaperoning you to the local summer carnival? I guess start idolizing Lady Gaga or someone. "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happy Hour." Really? Last I checked the right to beer nuts and chicken wings weren't in the Declaration of Independence.

I spotted this pillar of the community while I was on the ferris wheel with my daughter. I'm going out on a limb here but I don't think he subscribes to The Economist. This chap was with his two young children wearing this advertisement for alcoholism. C'mon man. You're better than this. Is this the message you want to send to your kids (who were also on the ride by the way) and the public at large? Our founding fathers risked it all to set up a new republic so that we could all drink cheap beer at 4:00 on a Wednesday? Kids are sponges my man. They see and hear everything. You could be a Rhodes Scholar for all I know but with that get-up you might as well be wearing a dunce cap. How can we have high expectations for our kids if we don't expect more from ourselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment