Friday, October 1, 2010

Stay at Home Dad Credit Crisis

As our cars both get up there in years and mileage my wife and I have started to talk about replacing at least one of them before the wheels fall off or the engine seizes. Being practical people we have vowed not to buy a brand new car but to get a slightly used car ostensibly saving us some depreciation costs. Good plan right?

So I took the bull by the horns today and located the exact yuppie wagon my Darling has set her sights on. Leather interior, climate control, MP3 hookup - the whole nine. So I called the dealer, spoke for a while and then started to give him some info to find out what kind of a loan rate they could give us.

The light bulb went off when the dealer asked:

"Who is your employer?"

"Uh, wait, umm...well I don't currently work so I'm guessing I wouldn't currently qualify for a loan."

With that I rendered the previously loquacious salesman  totally silent.

"I mean, you probably will need to speak to my wife who actually is employed."

"Yes, that would be great," the relieved salesman replied with visions of his commission still dancing in his head,  "Is she available?"

"No, she's actually working," I inform him. "But we'll be in tomorrow to take a look at the car."

Pleasantries were exchanged and I hung up the phone with a new realization. I wouldn't qualify to buy shit right now. I am completely dependent on my wife for any real buying power these days. It's a weird position to be in. I guess I'm OK with it as long as she's OK with it but I've never in my adult life had no answer for
"So who is your employer?"

No comments:

Post a Comment