Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Little Bit of East Germany in Midtown

Have you eaten at a restaurant with sections of the Berlin Wall adorning the entryway? No? Well guess who has - Me!


This piece of history hangs outside Alto - a two Michelin star restaurant in New York City. You would think that Alto serves Sauerbraten and Wiener Schnitzels but you would be wrong. It's a modern Northern Italian establishment. So what's with all the concrete and graffiti? I don't see the relationship.

That is really the only complaint I have with the place. Wait...I do have another. I knew this dinner was going to be expensive but getting the check felt like being punched in the face. That said, dinner was bordering on orgasmic. I don't eat at such places every week but my father was having a big birthday and he wanted to try this joint so we schlepped to the City to celebrate. Nice job Dad. This was my entree. Nice rack if I dare say...



However my favorite part of the dining experience had to be my uncle requesting the much ballyhooed truffle shavings on his pasta entree. The waiter's eyes twinkled with delight.

"Yes Sir, the truffle. You know it's $95 yes?"

I've not seen a man's face contort in the way that my uncle's did upon receiving this news.

"Really?" was all he could muster in reply.

He didn't get the truffles and our waiter departed looking like a fisherman who just missed landing the Big One.

I did find it interesting that even with millions of people in this country suffering economically, this swanky restaurant was packed. Recession? What recession? The seven course tasting menu for $130 per person? Not a problem for the beautiful people around us. Maybe it's a good sign. Maybe I've glimpsed the light at the end of the tunnel. Or maybe we were just seated in a restaurant with really really wealthy people.

No comments:

Post a Comment