Thursday, June 17, 2010

It's A Man's World


It might not look like it, but being a stay at home dad is a ton of work. I do the manly jobs around the house - cutting the grass, fixing the workbench, re-sheetrocking the playroom. But I also do some of the "girlie" jobs - arranging play dates, vacuuming, grocery shopping. I'm actually folding laundry in this shot - you just can't see it. The funny thing is that living in both worlds doesn't feel funny. Maybe it should.

Of course after all of this work a stay-at-home Dad needs some me time. And what's more relaxing than taking your two idiosyncratic children who can't swim to the beach? Idiosyncratic you say? Yeah - did I mention that my daughter doesn't like the feeling of sand between her toes? She may be the only human being who doesn't like that feeling. People in Nebraska would kill for sand! (I presume that somewhere in Nebraska there is sand - I'm just not sure if it's located by a body of water. More research is needed). And my son - he doesn't like bright light or his sister.

It was actually fun observing the the group of moms near us. It started out as a small group of a couple of women with their toddlers. But then its turned into a Mommy Woodstock (OK maybe Lollapalooza).

"Hey...good to see you. Austin's gotten so big. You look great by the way."

"Is Madison going to camp?"

"That Dad over there is a total hottie."

OK - I may have made up some of those. Madison isn't going to camp. But I must say, I was almost jealous of this secret society as I thumbed though Sports Illustrated. These women had such a free and easy way of relating to each other. It would have felt lonely if not for the fact that it was a beautiful day and I was on the beach with my kids - idiosyncrasies and all.

1 comment: