Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Games People Play



I love board games. I realize that statement dates me but I don't care. When I grew up family parties were always punctuated by a rousing game of Risk, Monopoly or Scrabble. Those were the big three and they were character building affairs. The older family members took no pity on the kids. It was sink or swim - if you couldn't hold Asia it was your problem. If you were too naive to realize that buying Connecticut Ave. was a waste of time...tough luck. Perhaps other families would find it cute if a 7 year old tried to put down "RRRRR" as a word. Not mine.  We don't suffer fools.

"RRRRR is not a word Joey, it's an exclamation." Oh, I just thought I have a boat load of R's and I need to unload them. Back to the drawing board. Is that hourglass thingy moving faster for me than it did for Dad?

It's with that background that I share the following milestone: Tonight my son and I played our first complete game of Scrabble together. I have dreamed of this day. He was actually very excited - although I'm not sure if he was more excited about playing the game or the fact that he got to stay up late with the old man. Nonetheless, he held his own. I dialed down my competitiveness and sat back and watched how he would fare. He did great (even though I totally dominated). He even put together some combo words - horizontally and vertically. He did his father proud. I look forward to our battles/bonding for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment