Monday, April 12, 2010

Clam Pie, How Do I Love Thee?

I realize I'm late to the party since they have been around since 1925 but I ate at Pepe's Pizza in New Haven for the first time today. I have to say, it didn't disappoint. Sometimes you go to an over-hyped place and it falls flat because your expectations are so high. This place exceeded mine. I ordered a clam pie because I had heard that it was a must have if you found yourself at Pepe's. Well, it was a life changing event. I'm not one for hyperbole but it was the best pizza I have ever had and I consider myself an aficionado. It was a perfect balance of garlic, fresh clams and charred crust. Perfection on a plate. We will be back.

What made the experience even better was the neighborhood. Anytime you can have great pizza and take a stroll up the block afterward to Mary Magdelene Corner and come across the scene pictured above, it's a good day. Love the fact that the Mary Magdalene sculpture is encased in plexiglass. Funny, but when I was in Florence at the Galleria dell'Accademia I don't recall Michelangelo's David encased in a plastic box.  I have to imagine that Mike's sculpture might be worth a tad more than this rendering near an on-ramp to I-91 in New Haven. I'm not an art historian but I think I can state that with some level of certainty. I guess it's very valuable to someone and that's the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment