Friday, May 21, 2010

Point/Counterpoint with the Preschool Set

I'm always amazed at the ability of children to ask the most poignant, insightful questions. Charlie Rose has nothing on my daughter. Here's what she hit me with yesterday....


"Daddy how come you don't go to work?" My response?


"Because Daddy's manhood isn't tied to his career. Mommy and Daddy have decided to challenge traditional gender roles in the hopes of providing a better quality of life for all of us. And don't you like having Daddy home all the time anyway?"

Good answer? Maybe too heavy for a 3 year old? She's pretty sharp though. She sniffs out BS like a bloodhound. For what it's worth she seemed to accept my response. She kinda just looked at me like I'm from outer space (which is a look that all fathers get from their daughters at one time or another). Then she said:

"Yeah, but how come Mommy has to work?"

"Because we aren't independently wealthy Honey. Someone in this family has to work. Why don't you go to work? Do you want to go to work? I think you're old enough now."

"No Daddy, I can't work. I'm little!" she said with a huge smile.

"And that's why we have to make Mommy work."

Laughter ensued (but out of earshot of Mommy who was not laughing. She was working like an indentured servant from her home office upstairs).

No comments:

Post a Comment